Monday, June 15, 2009

I love Continental Airlines!

Other possible titles include:

United Airlines Sucks
I will never leave the US again
Awful, just plain awful
God Answers prayers...just not always how you'd like

But I thought I would try to put a positive spin on the 48 hours it took to arrive in Copenhagen. So, pretty much from the time I bought our transatlantic tickets I started losing sleep wondering how this whole thing would work. So, then I started prayers for smooth travels. And let me tell you what...travels were anything but sooth. You may know about the little rain storm we had on Wednesday/Thursday. And you may not be surprised to learn that the airport was WAY backed up. So backed up that not only did I miss my original connection in DC, I missed my back up connection too. Then I got to roam around the airport for nearly 2 hours bouncing around from desk to desk (at the direction of the very unhelpful and unfriendly United Airline associates) until I finally found the correct line to stand in for OVER TWO HOURS after already traveling for half a day with a TWO YEAR OLD WHO HAD NOT NAPPED. Let me tell you. Momma was NOT happy. Baby was VERY good, though...as good as any two year old could ever have been expected in such a situation. So, we ended up in a hotel (didn't even get there until 11 PM after arriving at 6). Then we got to start all over the next morning. This time with the wonderful customer focused Continental Airlines. I will NEVER fly United again. They just did NOT care. I'm still just dumbfounded about how much they did NOT care. Then there was this bit about my luggage. Which was locked in some part of the dungeon of Dulles Airport. And I wasn't allowed to get it. And no airline really wanted to be responsible for it, either (by this time 3 airlines had been involved, with about 5 different tickets...I had to start tearing them up so I wouldn't get confused. Yes, I had real paper tickets). So, God did answer this prayer how I had hoped...my luggage arrived with me. Thanks to the people who cared at Continental and God's answer.

Ah. Now we're having fun! Seriously, we are. We've mostly recovered from jet lag (Baby slept 15 hours the first night!), and we've been bike riding, playing in the park, eating lots of ice cream, and experiencing Danish life. It is a bit chilly. Luckily I have coats, but it's colder than I expected, even when Big Brother told me. I seriously have my winter coat with me, and I'm glad to have it.

Let's see...later on the agenda is a trip to the local amusement park, shopping, and traditional Danish meals. And more bike riding. Which is good with the amount of sweets these folks eat!

Stay tuned for the rest of the adventure...I'm expecting the travel home to be MUCH easier.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Oh my goodness, that does sound awful, just awful! I'm glad Sadie was a trooper. Have a great rest of your trip!!