So I go to this moms group every other Monday. MOPS. At church. I always find it very inspiring and enjoy going. Not just for the brunch, but the speakers are awesome! But I finally realized, these women who speak are not human. Their lives are unattainable for the normal folks like me. Or maybe it's just that each one of these speakers does ONE thing. And I'm trying to do the things they ALL do. I've bought several books, and I've been trying to incorporate bits and pieces from each speaker. And today I realized it's just Unattainable.
I thought I would try a new "fun" literacy game at the grocery store today. The woman swore by it, has all these other fun ideas, and I'm sure her children are merit scholars today because of her supreme mothering skills. I gathered the necessary materials, painstakingly cut out pictures of food items, wrote cute riddles, and spelled out words with blanks. Baby was interested in the first card. And after that we had about one of the worst behavior marathons we've ever had at the store (at least in quite some time). The trip ended with me whispering in her ear (you are getting a spanking when we get into the car).
I give up! At least for today.
Oh, and the literacy speaker was from months ago. I just finally got around to making those stinking cards. Which I thought would be fun for her since she LOVES cards and is currently taking an interest in letters. Today's speaker is even MORE over my head! Getting your 3 year old to memorize and quote scripture. Yes, it is on my to do list (I bought the book), but I've realized I gotta do a little bit more in the memorization category myself! Maybe Baby and I can learn something together.
Hubby is outta state for work (for what seems like the 3rd Monday in a row). It's shocking how easy it is to slip back into survival mode. Ah, but now I have the TV to myself and a bowl of ice cream waiting!
6 comments:
Oh, I know what you mean. But you're right, the speakers focus on the ONE thing they're great at, and we're left to try to do all of them. That's one good thing about my new MOPS group - most of the speakers don't even talk about parenting at all. Yay for fluffy speakers like former Miss America!
I would think alot of it has to do with what you are good at and what your child is good at. Or what you enjoy and your child enjoys. Sounds to me like these mothers have found that, and it has not been a good fit for you guys.
As a side note, here are some resources on spanking:
Kids Who Get Spanked May Have Lower IQs
Spanking, grounding, and yelling: Does old-fashioned discipline work?
I know what you're thinking... spare the rod... I was spanked when I was a child too... yadda... yadda...
Feel free to make your own judgment on how to raise your child. I know this is a touchy issue, and since you're a friend I'm mentioning this. The only reason I'm posting here instead of privately via email is because a lot of parents are on the fence on this one.
JOhn
We have our own things we are wonderful at that we can do well. You can run an amazing household all by yourself and raise an amazing daughter and still manage to keep it all together. That alone is better than teaching your daughter to read early or even quote scripture. Just be happy with what you have and how you do it don't stress on what you should be like. The grass is not always greener on the otherside. I admire you for who you are. I looked at your life and your blog as insperation while Chris was gone. You do a amazing job Corinda. Be proud of the woman, wife and mother you are!
So enjoyed the post and have whispered the same thing in the store :)
dude, move across the street from us and we can raise these kids together! between you & me, we can probably do TWO different things well, and two's better than one, right?
and justin & i can't help but nod to jp's post. you can justify anything these days if you can find the research to back it up--skewed any way you like it. the bottom line--which you & I both know--is that we love our kids enough to show them that there are direct-and sometimes severe-consequences to their actions, and it's God's directive that we reveal this truth to them before the world does. Keep doing what you're doing b/c you do it well, and you do it out of LOVE, and you do it from a Biblical perspective--I see no better method than that.
"We have our own things we are wonderful at that we can do well. You can run an amazing household all by yourself and raise an amazing daughter and still manage to keep it all together." -Jamie
Well said, I'll second that.
JOhn
Post a Comment