Saturday, January 2, 2010

Our Christmas

I'm posting about Christmas, mostly because I said I would, not because I have anything that interesting to say. But we did have a good time. Big Brother came for a visit, and he got to celebrate our Christmas with us (23rd/24th) before we celebrated "real" Christmas with the in-laws.

We are trying to start some family traditions of our own, and my guess is that we'll probably have to try a few to see what sticks, but here is what we did this year. On "Christmas Eve" we went out for Mexican food (yeah, yeah, how it changes with the generations. My mom always made her OWN Mexican food dinner) and then went driving around the fancy part of town looking at lights. Then it was off to an early bed for Baby while we got to play Santa Clause, sorta for the first time! She hasn't really been old enough before now to really "get" Christmas, so we've not really done much in the way of Santa. Oh, boy, but does she get Santa now.

For weeks she had been saying she wanted candy and toys from Santa. I kept racking my brain on what to get her, when Hubby finally convinced me that she wanted CANDY, and that's what she should get. Keep it simple while we can, huh? So, we piled candy in a chair along with a few minor things (sunglasses and a Hello Kitty watch she LOVES), put together a bookshelf (looks like a dollhouse) and covered it with a sheet. That's what Santa did at my house when I was a kid. Kinda like the idea of not wrapping. Anyway. I made a fun Christmas-y breakfast and we had Santa and presents! It was fun. First time I've done that at my own home. Next year we'll plan to do it on actual Christmas day.

Big Brother left, and we headed out to see family. While we were on the way, the rain turned into snow, as most folks around here know. We were headed north, so it got thicker and thicker. When we finally got there, it was a full blown snow storm! Who would have thought?! It was so fun to be with family in a cozy home while the snow just piled higher. Baby got out in it a little (see previous post), but I wasn't really prepared (attire wise) for outdoor snow play. We made do. A white Christmas, what fun.

Now it's on to a new year. I wasn't expecting our NYE celebration to be too exciting, but it turned out to be even less exciting than I had anticipated. Baby and I both came down with a stomach virus, so it was rice for dinner for me. Blah. I snoozed on the couch until I woke up to see the ball drop. Happy New Year. Hope this isn't forecasting anything! Na, I'm not really that superstitious. I'm looking forward to a lot of big changes this year!

No comments: