Friday, November 13, 2009

Poison Control/I don't like my mommy

I wasn't sure what would be a more interesting title, so I decided to go with both. Since poison control sounds more exciting, I'll write about that first. I was in my room getting ready while Baby watched a little TV (you know me, never one to hide my lazy parenting techniques), when I hear her start screaming and crying. I really must be desensitized by now, because I actually finished brushing my teeth before checking on her. She's been such a drama queen lately, seriously, that I wasn't that concerned. So, I mosey on over to where she is comfortably sitting on the couch with a WHOLE jug of hand sanitizer ALL over her. Hands, face, arms, just swimming in the stuff. So I ask, "Baby, do you have stuff in your mouth?" For some reason I've always called hand sanitizer "stuff" to her. Dunno why. Just do. Anyway, she says, "yeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssss." Of course I didn't know how much and the bottle says to call poison control, so I make a call. Mind you this is not my first call. I probably have written about the others. Anyway, they take my name, my child's name, zip code. I start wondering...if I call enough are they gonna get suspicious? I figure a few calls within nearly 3 years is allowed. Turns out you have to drink several ounces of the stuff for it to really affect ya, so all's well. She probably won't be putting it in her mouth again, tho. Sounds good to me!

Now let's back up to first thing in the morning. Hubby got Baby outta bed and put her in bed with me because, well, I have problems getting out of the bed. I'm just so cozy! So, I'm trying to make Baby cuddle with me, but she wants to go hang out with Daddy. Well, I'm dumb, and I say, "What, you don't like Mommy?" and she says (you guessed it), "I don't like my mommy! I like my Daddy!" Aggg. Dagger. Straight to the heart. I got over it tho. She is such a fair weather gal. Just a few minutes later she announced she didn't like Daddy. Ah, to live in the moment!

One more story. We've recently had some (a lot) of the terrible two behavior. Not a joy. Such a drag. So, I'm trying to figure out a way to raise a decent human being. We're trying something new today and it is SO working! She has a problem with obeying. I mean, I would rather do what I want to do instead of what someone else tells me to. I get it. But I AM THE MOMMY. And she's gotta do what we say. Baby really loves cards...playing cards and such. So I have this stack of Winnie the Pooh number cards. I gave her 5 this morning. When she obeys, she gets another card. When she doesn't, I take a card. I have NEVER seen such motivation! She loves her cards. I've taken a few away today, and she immediately starts saying (screaming) she wants to obey so she can earn it back. I hope this sticks! She has 9 cards right now. Not bad!

1 comment:

John Peterson said...

Very entertaining, and glad that Sadie didn't drink too much hand sanitizer. I'm not there yet on ways to deal with an older "fussy" toddler, but I'm sure you'll have lots of good info for Amy and I.

JOhn