Friday, December 18, 2009

The Mall


What was I thinking?! The Mall? A few days before Christmas? I even had a friend ask me that when I told where I had been most of the day. Surprisingly, it wasn't as awful as I thought it could have been. I generally avoid the mall during Christmas. I seriously can't tell you the last time I bought a Christmas gift at the mall. With so many other options (uh, and online), it's just not necessary. And I'm confused as to why so many other people feel like they have to do their Christmas shopping at the mall.

So, you may ask, as I am obviously opposed to the mall, what I was doing there. Well, as you know, I'm pregnant. And also a mother of a young child. And every once in a while, there is something Inside Me that switches on and I simply MUST accomplish/do/see fill-in-the-blank. It's crazy, and I even feel crazy when this happens. Hormones? Maybe. Who knows. Anyway. This time it was Northpark Santa. And if you Know, then, you Know, about Northpark Santa. This is Baby's 3rd Christmas. I've known Northpark Santa exists for all 3 years, and year 1 and 2 Half-Price-Books santa with no line and the cheap fake beard was fine for us, thank-you-very-much. But starting a week ago, I got the feeling that HPB wasn't going to cut it this time. We had to see the REAL Santa. Check out the photo. See? He's real!

It actually worked out quite nicely. Turns out there are many fabulous children's things to do at The Mall (which I've also known about, just didn't want to make the effort). We were meeting a friend for story time with Santa and a puppet show, so I figured, why not get there a little early and see what this whole Santa thing is about? OK, so how it works...you arrive as the door opens if you even want a chance to see Santa. You get a number. Then you wait (wherever you want...mall, home, China) for hours until you check back and get to get in the short line (15-20 mins) to see Santa. We arrived at 9:15. We got number 77. Yes. 76 people were there before us starting at 9. And after we saw the shows and had lunch, it was time for us to get in line (about 1PM by now). Not bad. As I was in line they were handing out number 148. Yikes.

Something I noted while not even yet AT the mall. I was cruising for a parking space (which are ample at this early time of day), and saw several people LEAVING with packages! The mall had only been open for 15 minutes! My kinda shopping.

Although this post is getting long, I do have other news to share. Poor Little Baby. Always gets the last paragraph. I wonder if that's how it always is with the 2nd, 3rd, etc... child? I mean, we used the Dollar Tree test to learn I was pregnant this time. Of course the high dollar EPT told us the first time. The second time? Spent 1 dollar. Works for me! Anyway...the big fun news is...that we are having a BOY! Yes, yes. Now we'll have one of each. Baby is excited about her little baby brother. We took her to the sonogram and have started talking about it, and I think she gets it, somewhat anyway. Aside from the fact we learned that it's a boy, we also got to see 4 little heat chambers working away, the brain, 2 arms, 2 legs, even fingers and toes. God is so good to us.

I probably won't post again before Christmas, sooooo....a big Merry Christmas to you!

1 comment:

The Clarks said...

I'm with you on the NorthPark Santa...he is the only Santa we acknowledge...all others are impostors! He is worth the wait. Congrats on having a boy!