I created this blog as a way to connect with "Hubby/Daddy" as he spent time serving our country in Iraq. He's been home for 8 years but the good 'ole US has called him into service again. I'm dusting this old blog off and using it again-mostly to communicate with him. Enjoy!
Saturday, August 11, 2012
I wonder
OK, I wonder lots of things. I've been thinking about this particular post for a week or more with the original thought wondering about kindergarten starting for Baby and if I did all the things I wanted to do with her as a preschooler. But then I got to wondering about a lot of other things too.
And you, for instance, may also be wondering some things. Like why I haven't written anything this summer. I've thought about it. I know some fellow bloggers think about it and even write without publishing. I just think about it, no writing. I guess I haven't felt like I have had much to write about. Which sorta might be a good thing since I often write when I need to work through something happening "big" in my life (good or bad). I coulda kept you up to date with all our summering. And I mean, this summer stay at home mom business is not for sissies! It is work. But I actually love summer. I need the break in routine, the license to be lenient with nutrition and bedtime. We've done lots of stuff, and our actual summer vacation is still yet to come. We've had a trip to the local water park, the grown ups took a mission trip with our church while the kids had a blast at grandparents, we've gone to the zoo, the arboretum, and an indoor safari park. We've made trips to the spray park, and Baby has honest to goodness learned to swim. We've made countless art projects and worked on reading. Baby is particularly good with her numbers (addition, subtraction, and even a bit of multiplication). Baby got her first pet of her own (a Beta fish named Rainbow). She's attended soccer camp and several day long gymnastics camps. I can't even tell you the amount of cookies and recipes we've made (and consumed). I've had a weekend girls trip, and well, there's always an army weekend. Luckily the army weekend in July included spouses and a fancy smancy dinner and overnight stay at the Omni in Austin. And don't forget the circus! Where Little Baby was so wound up that he might as well have been one of the acts.
So, I digress back to wondering. Now that kindergarten is upon is in two short weeks, I wonder...have I really done it all? Done all the things I wanted to do, all the things I thought I would do? All the things I should have done? Did I waste the time away by wishing I could just have a moment to myself rather than getting on the floor and coloring or doing some fabulous crafting project? I mean, I tend to count it as a good day if I just make it through with a reasonable amount of self control and minimal amount of yelling. Doesn't sound too glamorous. Or like I took advantage of our time together.
But since we do have two whole weeks left together we do have a few things on our agenda. Like a trip to the beach! And when we return, we're gonna get to one of those projects Baby always wants to do, but I never want to because it's easy to turn on the TV for her so I can fold laundry or load the dishwasher. Seriously?! By the way I describe my days you'd think my house would actually be tidy!! Ok, so here's the project. Baby wants to make these little apple cover things that are pretty cute. One looks like and apple and one looks like a cat. It's made out of fleece and you put it around an apple you put in your lunch to make it look cute and protect it from bruising. Only I'm an idiot and bought THREE TIMES the amount of fabric I need. You'd think that I'd realize a whole YARD of fabric is way too much to cover ONE apple before I requested my cutting. But no. So, if you've got a birthday coming up or some other special occasion, lucky you, you just might get an apple cozy.
So, I wonder...is anyone else as nutty as me?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ahhh... I see what you did there.. Trick question. The answer is "You're not nutty, Honey!"
Maybe you and Baby can make Pumpkin Cozys instead with all that fabric?
Anyhow, it's good to stop and look in the rear-view once in a while like you did and see all the awesome places we've been and all the wonderful times we've had. Sometimes when you're in the moment there's so much unnecessary static that you can't appreciate just how good it is. We are so blessed beyond measure, and I wouldn't have things any other way than they are.
I have been telling Sadie for a couple of years now that I don't want her to grow up, but she keeps doing it. "Don't worry", she says, "I'll still be your daughter, and I'll still Love you." Well the sweet sadness of her getting older is subtly drowned out by the increased joy from what a wonderful little girl she is and all the unbelievable stuff she is learning and doing. I think that's how it was planned from the beginning.
Thanks for the post :)
Post a Comment