Sunday, August 28, 2011

I love this place

I really do. With all my other moves, I was ready to go, but for some reason, this time I'm not. It's not that the new house isn't fabulous. I love how the kitchen turned out, the master bath and closet space is awesome, and I'll love having a dedicated play space. And the neighborhood is also wonderful. We can walk to a nicely maintained playground, there is a great social network in place (I've already been to several events), and I have friends from church and the kids' school who live there. Plus the public school system is good (the main reason we're moving), and Baby has already met several kids who will be attending kindergarten with her next year. There is an outdoor learning center at the elementary school, and there is real community support for the high school. So many things to look forward to!
But I love this place where I am. So much life has happened here. It's the first place Hubby and I bought together. It sheltered me and Baby while he was in Iraq. Our neighbors are good. It's the only home both the children have ever known. We brought them home from the hospital to here. They both learned to walk here (Yes, Little Baby is walking!). The nursery is here. My heart is here. It's a good home. The space is great, the kitchen is large, the yard is fabulous. I have to keep reminding myself why we're moving. In the long run, it's the right thing to do. I know I'll love it, I'm just having a hard time with change since suddenly (?!) it's upon me.
We weren't able to sell our home in the 6 months it was on the market, and I'm oddly OK with that. Aside from the panic I feel when I think about it, I'm nearly glad. The plan is to lease it, and I pray that works out quickly, but I'll know it's still ours. Why am I such a basket case? It's hard to know. Maybe I'll blame it on the heat. Is it ever going to cool down around here? This move has been happening for so long, that I'm really ready to wrap it up and get settled. My nerves are racked, and I need to get some sleep!

3 comments:

John Peterson said...

Yeah... I understand where you are coming from a bit, and that's only after moving out of a few apartments.

I'm sure I'll feel that bittersweet moment when we move out of our first home. It's nice to have the good memories. It's nice to feel that longing to reconnect to the good times.

JOhn

The Clarks said...

I really understand! When ours was for sale earlier in the year, the more I looked at other houses, the more sad I would get at the thought of leaving ours. It's hard to move on sometimes. It sounds like your new place/community is going to be a great fit for your family though.

Kimberly said...

Ugh, your post seriously brought tears to my eyes. Yup, the thought of moving makes me ill, but it is inevitable and getting realer by the minute. Renovation will be complete in a few weeks for us. I am in denial and haven't packed one box! We have had so many wonderful "firsts" in this house too. :(