Yesterday was my birthday. I love birthdays. I also love Valentine's Day. Why not feel special? Why not celebrate? I usually tell people all day long when it's my birthday. I figure if people knew, they would want to tell me happy birthday, so I tell them! And I feel special and loved all day. Yesterday was no exception, even with the hubs half a world away. Maybe even especially with the hubs halfway around the world. It just became that much more obvious how blessed I am and made me grateful for the tender loving care I'm receiving from God through the people He has placed in my life.
Today I read a verse from Romans 8, which may be becoming one of my favorite passages in the Bible. I haven't studied it much but I read Romans 8:28-39 and felt led to blog. Romans 8:38-39 has long been my favorite verse(s). When I read it I just get so excited and read it faster and faster and it never fails that I have chills:
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Now if that doesn't make you feel special...what could???!!!!! NOTHING can separate us from God's love from us. Sin can separate us from God, but never from His LOVE-there is a big distinction in that (which is another topic, not where I'm headed this time). But let's back up. Roman's 8:28. I think this is an oft misused verse.
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
It doesn't mean good health, wealth, and prosperity. Sometimes that means discipline or refinement. September was hard for me. Like deeply near rock bottom hard. I literally thanked God when I got to turn the calendar to October to get out of that despair. October has been better, but I'll be pretty glad to see November in a few days. As humans we wonder why. Why the hardship, whatever it is? When we are in the midst of our hardship (or "thing" as I like to call it) we usually just want it to be over, me too. But when I remind myself that in ALL things God works for GOOD, I can have peace. Perhaps the hardship was for my refinement. I pray that it is. I would never what to experience something painful and not have it be useful-to me or perhaps for someone else, who knows? I don't have to know because God can use it to His glory, and as a Christian, that's the goal. Moving on. Romans 8:31-32:
What then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all-how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?
All things. So let's think about this. God so loved us he gave his son to DIE for us. Why would he do that and just leave us to fend for ourselves on all the other things? Short answer-he wouldn't! Now here's what I'm thinking about the "all things" part. These "things" are most often peace, faith, hope, joy-intangible things, but I also know that because our God is a lavish God that he gives (at times) material blessings in addition to the intangible. But all things! ..."graciously give all things". I sure felt an "all things" blessing yesterday. I felt love, peace, joy, happiness. Through all the lovely people God has lovingly, tenderly, and carefully placed in my life. I also got some pretty sweet tangible things too-just check out my new shoes, earrings, vest, etc...next time you see me!
No comments:
Post a Comment