Saturday, October 1, 2011

Opening Day

Whoo hoo! I absolutely love the State Fair. I know that I'm not alone, but I do feel that Hubby and I are above your average fair lovers. You probably know we got engaged there, on the ferris wheel no doubt, but in case you didn't know, now you do. I've gone every year for the past 12 years, but never have I gone on opening day. We've decided to make it a tradition. It was awesome! Maybe it's because I set my expectations low, but we truly did have a great time...with both the kids in tow. Which isn't really our style. Hubby and I like to do all the fun awesome things without the kids saving it for "when they can actually enjoy it." But we can't help but pass on our love of the fair. I was hunting around for deals and found that on opening day you could get in for 5 bucks with a coca-cola product donation on opening day only (regularly $16...ouch!). Hubby already was planning to take the day off, so we set out for our adventure. Next time we'll plan to be there when the gates open, but we got there about an hour after opening, so that's pretty good. The weather was nice (not blistering hot), the sun was out, and the crowd was light. Plus we got Opening Day pins. And did you know it's the 125th year? Of course we headed straight to the corn dog stand, and Little Baby had his first taste. He's already in love. Next we hit the Texas exhibits and got lots of free food samples including the ice cream. And Baby got to pet Elise and her baby. Then Baby went through the "Little Hands on the Farm" exhibit. Next we were ready for more fried food, so we made a stop at the fried bubble gum stand. Ewe. Don't get it. I think it won the award for most original. Blech. Interestingly some official looking guy with a camera took photos of me and Baby trying it. I wonder if a photo of me is floating around out there. Let me know if you see it. Other foods we had were Belgium waffles, tator twisters, fried pineapple upside down cake, and an ice cream bar. Surprisingly we actually had dinner when we got home. Baby played her first game on the midway and won a stuffed pink whale, and she also got to ride ONE ride. She waited forever to ride the flying dumbo ride. All in all, we had a super duper time, and Hubby and I are planning to return on date night. Just don't tell Baby. She loves the fair and would be so upset if we didn't take her back!

No comments: